By Tracy Teslow
Read Online or Download Constructing Race: The Science of Bodies and Cultures in American Anthropology PDF
Best history & philosophy on science & nature books
Genetic engineering, nanotechnology, astrophysics, particle physics: we are living in an engineered global, one the place the differences among technology and engineering, expertise and learn, are quick disappearing. This e-book indicates how, on the sunrise of the twenty-first century, the pursuits of typical scientists--to observe what used to be now not known--and that of engineers--to create what didn't exist--are present process an extraordinary convergence.
Physicist John Tyndall and his contemporaries have been on the leading edge of constructing the cosmology of medical naturalism throughout the Victorian interval. They rejected all yet actual legislation as having any impression at the operations of human lifestyles and the universe. members specialize in the way in which Tyndall and his correspondents constructed their principles via letters, periodicals and clinical journals and problem formerly held assumptions approximately who received authority, and the way they attained and defended their place in the clinical group.
Within the eighteenth century, malaria was once a typical and lethal illness, and the single potent therapy used to be present in the Andean forests of Spanish the USA: a medicinal bark harvested from cinchona bushes that may later supply upward thrust to the antimalarial drug quinine. In 1751, the Spanish Crown asserted keep watch over over the creation and distribution of this medicament by means of constructing a royal reserve of “fever bushes” in Quito.
Bruno Latour is likely one of the most vital figures in modern philosophy and social technology. His ethnographic experiences have revolutionized our realizing of components as different as technology, legislations, politics and faith. To facilitate a extra reasonable figuring out of the realm, Latour has brought a appreciably clean philosophical terminology and a brand new method of social technological know-how, ‘Actor-Network Theory’.
- Acid Rain and the Rise of the Environmental Chemist in Nineteenth-Century Britain: The Life and Work of Robert Angus Smith (Science, Technology and Culture, 1700-1945)
- The Antibiotic Era: Reform, Resistance, and the Pursuit of a Rational Therapeutics
- Making Prehistory: Historical Science and the Scientific Realism Debate (Cambridge Studies in Philosophy and Biology)
- Giants And The Lost Lands Of The Gods
- Philosophy of Science: A Unified Approach
Extra resources for Constructing Race: The Science of Bodies and Cultures in American Anthropology
Constructing Race: The Science of Bodies and Cultures in American Anthropology by Tracy Teslow
- Get The Critical Path: from the Big Bang to The Messianic Age PDF
- Download e-book for iPad: Meeting Places: Scientific Congresses and Urban Identity in by Louise Miskell