By Vera Keller
Read or Download Knowledge and the Public Interest, 1575–1725 PDF
Best history & philosophy on science & nature books
Genetic engineering, nanotechnology, astrophysics, particle physics: we are living in an engineered global, one the place the differences among technology and engineering, know-how and examine, are speedy disappearing. This publication exhibits how, on the sunrise of the twenty-first century, the pursuits of usual scientists--to observe what used to be no longer known--and that of engineers--to create what didn't exist--are present process an extraordinary convergence.
Physicist John Tyndall and his contemporaries have been on the vanguard of constructing the cosmology of medical naturalism throughout the Victorian interval. They rejected all yet actual legislation as having any effect at the operations of human lifestyles and the universe. individuals specialize in the best way Tyndall and his correspondents built their principles via letters, periodicals and clinical journals and problem formerly held assumptions approximately who received authority, and the way they attained and defended their place in the clinical neighborhood.
Within the eighteenth century, malaria used to be a popular and lethal disorder, and the single powerful remedy was once present in the Andean forests of Spanish the United States: a medicinal bark harvested from cinchona timber that might later provide upward thrust to the antimalarial drug quinine. In 1751, the Spanish Crown asserted regulate over the construction and distribution of this medicament through developing a royal reserve of “fever timber” in Quito.
Bruno Latour is one of the most vital figures in modern philosophy and social technological know-how. His ethnographic stories have revolutionized our figuring out of components as various as technological know-how, legislations, politics and faith. To facilitate a extra real looking figuring out of the area, Latour has brought a extensively clean philosophical terminology and a brand new method of social technological know-how, ‘Actor-Network Theory’.
- Science for the Masses: The Bolshevik State, Public Science, and the Popular Imagination in Soviet Russia, 1917–1934: The Bolshevik State, Public ... M. Stewart '26 Series on Eastern Europe)
- Doctors beyond Borders: The Transnational Migration of Physicians in the Twentieth Century
- Science and Eastern Orthodoxy: From the Greek Fathers to the Age of Globalization (Medicine, Science, and Religion in Historical Context)
- Kinetic Theories of Gravitation
- OUR UNIVERSE: A Scientific and Religious View of Creation
- The Anatomy of Inquiry (Routledge Revivals): Philosophical Studies in the Theory of Science
Extra info for Knowledge and the Public Interest, 1575–1725
Knowledge and the Public Interest, 1575–1725 by Vera Keller
- New PDF release: The Bumpy Road: Max Planck from Radiation Theory to the
- Download e-book for kindle: Precision Bowhunting: A Year-Round Approach to Taking Mature by John Eberhart,Chris Eberhart