By Tzvi Abusch
A new reconstruction and translation of the Maqlû text
The Mesopotamian sequence Maqlû, 'Burning,' is likely one of the most important and engaging magical texts from the traditional close to East. The incantations and accompanying rituals are directed opposed to witches and witchcraft and truly characterize a unmarried advanced rite. The rite was once played in the course of a unmarried evening and into the subsequent morning on the finish of the month Abu (July/August), a time whilst spirits have been proposal to maneuver backward and forward among the netherworld and the area of the living.
- English translation of roughly a hundred incantations and rituals
- Annotated transcription
- Introduction areas the sequence in historic context and exhibits the way it is a fabricated from a fancy literary and ceremonial development.
Tzvi Abusch is Rose B. and Joseph Cohen Professor of Assyriology and historic close to japanese faith at Brandeis University.
Read or Download The Witchcraft Series Maqlû (Writings from the Ancient World Book 37) PDF
Best ancient history books
This is often the 1st biography in English of Lucullus, considered one of Rome's maximum infantrymen, ordinarily thought of a degenerate. Paring again the legends and misconceptions surrounding his identify, the booklet examines Lucullus as a soldier, baby-kisser and aesthete. heir of the beliefs of his pal Sulla, his occupation spans the final years of the Roman republic whilst it was once ruled less than the structure the dictator had devised.
Chosen via selection as a 2012 extraordinary educational name presented a 2012 PROSE Honorable point out as a unmarried quantity Reference/Humanities & Social Sciences A spouse to girls within the historic global provides an interdisciplinary, methodologically-based selection of newly-commissioned essays from admired students at the examine of girls within the historic global.
Studienarbeit aus dem Jahr 2005 im Fachbereich Geschichte - Weltgeschichte - Frühgeschichte, Antike, notice: 1,7, Heinrich-Heine-Universität Düsseldorf, Veranstaltung: Die athenische Demokratie, 10 Quellen im Literaturverzeichnis, Sprache: Deutsch, summary: Schon früh haben sich griechische Philosophen mit verschiedenen Verfassungstypen beschäftigt und mit dem challenge, wie diese von einander abhängen.
A clean exploration of apologetic fabric that pushes past shape criticismAndrew Knapp applies glossy style conception to 8 royal apologies that served to protect the legitimacy of kings who got here to strength less than abnormal conditions. Knapp examines texts and inscriptions regarding Telipinu, Hattushili III, David, Solomon, Hazael, Esarhaddon, Nabonidus, and Darius to spot transhistorical universal concerns that unite each one discourse.
- Why Are There Differences in the Gospels?: What We Can Learn from Ancient Biography
- Liebe und Leben der Lady Hamilton Roman (German Edition)
- A History of Earliest Italy (Routledge Revivals)
- Herodotus and Hellenistic Culture: Literary Studies in the Reception of the Histories
- Power and Privilege in Roman Society
Additional info for The Witchcraft Series Maqlû (Writings from the Ancient World Book 37)
The Witchcraft Series Maqlû (Writings from the Ancient World Book 37) by Tzvi Abusch
- El Reparador de parejas: Amor inteligente para compartir una by Guillermo Ferrara PDF
- ¿Dónde está mi tribu?: Maternidad y crianza en una sociedad by Carolina del Olmo PDF